Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vulcan 800 Ape Hangers

I finally got around to installing my new bars. I ordered these a few weeks back, but I've been busy on the walkway and other stuff... I got the new throttle cables and clutch cable in on Tuesday, and the new brake line came on Thursday. I knew it was going to take a while, so I waited until this afternoon. It took most of the afternoon, and then Mel was complaining about not having her dinner, so I had to quit and cook and then eat. I was almost finished, and then I realized I don't know how to bleed brakes. I'd read about it, and I thought I did, but it turns out... I don't! After a quick call to Dad (who happens to know EVERYTHING about fixing on cars) I bled the lines and took her for a quick test ride. I did everything right! It clutches and shifts and brakes like it's supposed to. I'm really impressed with the Galfers stainless brake line. That is definitely worth the money. And they've got great customer service too! Always a plus! And I am impressed with my electrical skills! Everything works like it is supposed to. I figured I would solder everything and not worry with those quick connect pieces of junk. I didn't want one of them to come loose 50 miles from home, so I spent the extra effort to solder. And apparently I did it right. (Sorry for tootin' my own horn)

Quick test ride, then it started to rain! Typical.

Things left to do:
1) Get some bigger shielding for the electrical wires (I didn't realize there were so many wires in there) and install it.
2) Go for a long ride...................


Here are the stock bars


And the new ones! That's the 13" rise ape hangers from Flanders

1 comment:

If you want us to know your opinion, go ahead!