Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bluesbreaker (?)

I had this great little Peavey powered mixer that I ran through a 2x12 speaker cabinet. It was great to play guitar through because I could run my acoustic through one channel and my electric with effects through another channel, and not have to unplug every time I switched guitars. I could also run a mic through it, or whatever. It sounded OK, bit it wasn't as portable as I would have liked; being two separate pieces.
Then I got the idea to build a new cabinet for it that combined the two into one. I've wanted a Tech-21 Power Engine 60 for a couple of years, but it only has one channel. If I could combine my stuff into a combo amp, it would be just like a PE60, but with multiple channels!
So I spent yesterday and today doing just that. I tried to model it after the Marshall Bluesbreaker. I think it looks pretty good. The cabinet is closed in the back, so it sounds even better than the open-back 2x12 I was running. It gives it a tighter bass response, and it sounds cleaner, I think. The only thing left to do is get some decent grill cloth and put it on.


Anybody got a spare nameplate I could have?


Portability, verstility, great sound, and good looks all in one package

Update 7/24/09:
Got the grill cloth in today. Built a frame for it and installed it. Here are the pics. I am very pleased with my handiwork. It could almost pass for a real amp.




Looking good, but it still needs a logo...

1 comment:

  1. You're so smart and creative. That looks really cool.

    ReplyDelete

If you want us to know your opinion, go ahead!